“I Don’t Belong”: Imposter Syndrome in the Legal Profession
Imposter syndrome is something that can affect anyone in the legal profession – from law students to Big Law executives.
Living in constant fear of discovery, you strive for perfection in everything you do. You might feel guilty or worthless when you can’t achieve it, not to mention burned out and overwhelmed by your continued efforts. The results can be devastating.
True imposter feelings involve self-doubt and uncertainty about your talents and abilities. But what if you find yourself in an environment where your peers fail to make room for you or imply you don’t deserve your success? Along with the more traditional factors, gender bias and institutionalized racism can also play a significant part in imposter feelings. Even if only perceived, they can surely reinforce the feeling you don’t belong.
Hear our experienced speaker discuss the impact of the untimely death of his mentor and how trying to “fill his shoes” became more than a job, it took over his life. The consequences were a decades-long effort to cope with and then conceal those feelings with alcohol and drugs.
Mr. Quinn will discuss:
- Imposter Syndrome: What Is It?
- Impacts of Imposter Syndrome on Attorneys and our ability to uphold the Rules of Professional Conduct
- The Role of Gender and Racial Bias in Creating Imposter Syndrome
- Practical Guidance for Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
- How to Support Attorneys Battling Imposter Syndrome
- The confidential, safe, free, and supportive resources available through lawyers' assistance programs
- Personal Experience of Struggling with Imposter Syndrome
Presented by: Brian S. Quinn
CLE: 1.0 ethics credit (Competence / Mental Health Awareness)
States Pre-Approved: AR, CA, CO, GA, FL, IL, KS, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, PA, TN, TX, UT, VT
Eligible to claim credit: AK, AZ, CT, MO (Eligible for general credit only), ND, NH
We will supply you with the information needed to apply in other states.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for CLE assistance.
WealthCounsel members: This CLE eligible program is complimentary for WealthCounsel members. Please access and view it here via the member website for optimal experience and inclusion in your CLE Profile Account.