The Impaired Lawyer - A Call for Action
One hour webinar. Recent studies have shown that there has been a dramatic increase in impairment due to alcoholism, addiction, and mental health disorders among members of the legal profession. The statistics are compelling, and they clearly indicate that 1 out of 3 attorneys will likely have a need for substance use or mental health services at some point in their careers. When added to the impact on the profession of the COVID-19 crisis and the resultant uncertainty, we have opened a Pandora’s box of unintended consequences. In addition to a breakdown of the results of the recent ABA and Law.Com studies, Mr. Quinn will discuss:
1. The early warning signs of impairment, including alcohol and drug use, mental health disorders, and the “silent” addiction, gambling.
2. The free services that Lawyers Assistance Programs provide to lawyers, judges, their family members, and law students.
3. A close look at what barriers exist that prevent lawyers from seeking the help they need.
4. The role that education plays in breaking the stigma and fear associated with addiction and mental illness in the legal profession.
5. How best to approach the impaired individual.
Presenter: Brian S. Quinn
CLE: 1.0 general credit
States Pre-Approved: AR, CA, MO, NJ, NY, OK, PA, VT
(AK, AZ, CT, NH eligible to claim credit)
States Pending Approval: CO, GA, IL, NC, OH, SC, TX, UT
We will apply for approval in other US states as registrations warrant,* with exception to the following: KS, RI, VA, WA**
* Approval process times will vary
** We will supply you with the information needed to self-apply