2022 Trust Decanting Update
Years ago, an irrevocable trust was truly irrevocable. However, with the creation of decanting statutes in many states, “irrevocable” no longer means irrevocable. In this presentation, Steve will explain how decanting works and many of the opportunities to decant that advisors may not recognize. Whereas decanting is often viewed as a means of fixing a broken trust, you will learn to put more of the focus on decanting to enhance the asset protection, divorce protection, and tax savings that can be obtained using a trust.
- Attendees will learn what decanting is and how it works
- Attendees will learn what to look for in a trust to be able to recognize opportunities to help clients
- Attendees will learn that some states’ decanting statutes are superior to those in other states
- Attendees will learn how to increase the asset and divorce protection of a trust
- Attendees will learn how to decant a trust in order to save federal and/or state income taxes
Presented by: Steven J. Oshins, JD, AEP (Distinguished)
CLE: 1.0 general credit
States Pre-Approved: AR, CA, NV, MO, NJ, NY, OK, PA, VT
(AK, AZ, CT, NH eligible to claim credit)
States Pending Approval: CO, GA, IL, NC, OH, UT
We will apply for approval in other US states as registrations warrant,* with exception to the following: KS, RI, VA, WA**
* Approval process times will vary
** We will supply you with the information needed to self-apply
WealthCounsel members: This CLE eligible program is complimentary for WealthCounsel members. Please access and view it here via the member website for optimal experience and inclusion in your CLE Profile Account.